Saturday, May 13, 2006

Pet Shop Fights

I just read an interesting interview with Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe from the Pet Shop Boys about 'You only tell me you love me when you're drunk'.
A song which was covered by Sophia on the Collections:One cd (which you can still buy HERE).
So I thought I'd share:

Where did you get the song title 'You only tell me you love me when you're drunk'? It sounds like a sentence that would pop up during a fight with your partner.
TENNANT: "That's exactly how it happened. We were shouting the meanest insults at each other and suddenly he said thàt. I still remember that in the middle of that fight I thought "I have to remember that!". Songwriters are very chilly about stuff like that. Under any circumstance a part of their brain keeps looking for usable sentences. They screen every conversation, every book, every newspaper article for possible song titles. Even when they're in extreme, complex emotional circumstances."
LOWE: "So did you pause that fight to take notes?"
TENNANT: "Well... euh yes. That's also how I got 'I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore'. The problem is that my then partner got even more angry when I wrote that down. He felt abused because I immediately misused his frustration to create a new song. I can't say it's very favourable for your relationship."

But your willing to take that risk?
TENNANT: "Yes. When inspiration hits, it hits without consideration, no matter what the consequences."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home